Wednesday 4 January 2012

Comparison: A TALE DARK AND GRIMM and THE GRIMM LEGACY


A TALE DARK AND GRIMM
By Adam Gidwitz
272 pages. Andersen. £5.99. (Ages 9 and up).

ISBN
9781849393706

Rating: 5 Stars


THE GRIMM LEGACY
By Polly Shulman
336 pages. Putnam Juvenile. $16.99. (Ages 10 and up).

ISBN
9780399250965

Rating: 5 Stars

      A Tale Dark and Grimm tells you the true story about Hansel and Gretel. It is about a king who marries a beautiful princess. His faithful servant, Johannes, turns to stone for saving them. However, that’s not the whole story because then they have children and they cut off their heads so that Johannes will come back to life. Although that’s not where the story ends. The children then come back to life and run away to find new parents. Hansel and Gretel are then pushed around to different parents but never is one good enough.
      My favourite character is Gretel because she kills a dragon. My favourite part is when Gretel goes to a murderer’s house. I think ages eight through twelve should read this brilliant book. I think this book deserves five out of five stars. I like this book so much that I just want to read it over and over again but sadly it belongs to the library, I just wish I had it!
      The Grimm Legacy is about a young girl called Elizabeth who works at a library that isn’t really a library of books. To find out what the library has in it read the book yourself.
      A Tale Dark and Grimm and The Grimm Legacy are both amazingly good but I think that A Tale Dark and Grimm is better because there’s no kissing.Both of these books have some things to do with the Grimm's fairy tales and actually involve some of my favourite fairy tales. I think that the way The Grimm Legacy is connected to the Grimm's fairy tales is good because they take things from the fairy tales and try to say what would happen if they were in our world. On the other hand A Tale Dark and Grimm is actually retelling one of the Grimm's fairy tales.

also on Guardian Children's Books Site