Friday 16 December 2011

THE SLEEPING ARMY


THE SLEEPING ARMY
By Francesca Simon
256 pages. Profile Books Ltd. £9.99. (Ages 8 and up).

ISBN
9781846682780

Rating: 5 Stars

      This book is about a girl named Freya who when she blows a horn at the British Museum is taken to Asgard, the realm of the gods.
      This book is about a young girl called Freya who blows a Viking horn and wakes up four chess pieces Rovska, Alfi, Sleipner and Snot. All five of them are then summoned to Asgard and told to get Iddun the goddess who used to guard there apples that made them stay young and that if they didn't they would turn to stone and wait for the next hero to blow the horn. Freya is just terrified and wants to go home, Alfi is cheerful and happy and helpful, and Snot and Rovska just want to get it done with. What happens when Loki steals the apples back from them when they find them? Will they get them back in time or will they all turn into stone?
      My favourite character is Freya because she is very smart. My favourite part is when she goes into the underworld.  I was amazed when I read this book because Horid Henry is not very attractive to me but this book was brilliant.  I think ages eight through fourteen should read this brilliant book. I think this book definitely deserves five out of five stars.