Wednesday 4 July 2012

THE DEADLY DESPERADOS



THE DEADLY DESPERADOS
By Caroline Lawrence
288 pp. Orion. £9.99. (Ages 9 and up)

ISBN
9781444001693

Rating: ? Stars


            I got this book along with two others and because it looked like the best one I decided to read it last. Just as I had predicted this was the best one.
            When I first started reading this book the author foreshadowed that the main character was going to die, but did he really? Well for most of the book it seemed like the main character was definitely going to die. However this didn't happen in most books so I doubted what the author had foreshadowed a bit.
            This book is about a boy called PK Pinkerton whose foster parents were killed by the most deadly desperados. His foster mother tells him to take her medicine bag with him when he runs away as she lay dying. The rest of the book is about all the problems caused by what is inside the medicine bag. I took a deep breath when Belle Donne (a soil dove he met) threatened him with a gun if he didn’t give her what was inside his medicine bag. Although then I breathed out a sigh of relief when he wasn’t shot.
            One of the things I really liked about this book was that it was my favourite kind of story an ADVENTURE story. This book is also a historical fiction book, it is set in Virginia City when girls wore corsets and you could trust no one.